Monday, January 5, 2015

A New Year, A New You! Or Something.. -Kat

Ladies.. I've been so distant from this blog!

Do y'all remember the days when I posted every week? *sigh* Those, my friends, those were the good days! I remember sitting in front of my laptop screen, a Bible in my lap and a steaming cup of coffee in my hand. I miss it!

For me, writing is my thinking time. The busier I am, the more I need that time to think but as of late, I've had to find ways to think sans written word. That's been difficult for me. I've missed you all so much! I know, realistically there are maybe three of you. But hey! Let me have my moment, okay? ;)

So, it's the new year. Yay! Just as it is every year, all the marketing right now is aimed at "Creating a new you." Have you ever thought about how desperately we need a "new" self? I don't think I know a single person (at least, not personally) who wouldn't admit they're flawed. We all have our stuff, right?

Having a self-awareness is so important. We don't need to beat ourselves up all the time, but I think it's healthy to know where you're strong and where you're weak. This goes for health, attitude, social skills and spirituality. I could rattle off for you an extensive list of all the things I still have to work on but you know what? I can also list for you all the things I have worked on! I can tell you (quite proudly!) how far I've come. And I don't know which I'm more grateful for- the fact I have come so far or the fact I can recognize it! For years, my self-awareness was skewed: I had no idea what I was good at, all I could tell you was what needed work. So the simple fact I can recognize good in myself is something I couldn't be more thankful for!

The thing is, we need to be mindful that no matter what we work to fix, we know which things really matter. It's really spectacular that I've started working out (yoga counts, right??) and I believe I've gotten healthier because of it. It's awesome that I've learned how to spend time on my own without going into major freak out mode (social anxiety is fun...not.). But you know what I'm most proud of? I'm studying my Bible every day. I'm learning to pray. I'm learning to be thankful for every blessing of every day. I'm not anxious, I don't care much for material things, I'm training to be the woman God wants me to be.. My spirit's cup is overflowing!! Goodness, I can't wait to see where I will be a year from now! Truthfully, I am not capable of this much growth on my own..

"We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life" (Romans 6:4). Ladies, do you really believe that you can be a new person? Each New Year's resolution we make ends at some point, right? I think most of us have failed at trying to change at least one thing about ourselves... So can we really "walk in newness of life?"

My answer? Absolutely.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed; behold, the new has come" (2 Corinthians 5:17). If you've been baptized, you have been cleansed. You are a new person if Christ is your identity. The catch is, you have to let that new person come to life. The Spirit has been given to you so that it can work through you (Acts 2:38), but you have to let it! The beautiful thing is, if you give the Spirit a mile he pushes you ten. What I mean by that is, you give Him just a little bit and He will return to you more than you can possibly imagine.

Commit to being the new creation the Spirit will shape you to be. If you haven't already, talk to a mature Christian and find out about being baptized: study hard, find out what the commitment is about, and make the leap of faith. Let the "old you" pass along with the "old year," but know this is bigger than any New Year's resolution. It's a New Life's Resolution! You can be a whole new person starting now. I'm learning to let Him work through me. Will you?

I love you sisters! I look forward to talking to you all again soon!

Kat


No comments:

Post a Comment